Sunday, August 9, 2009

What a Week!

On Wednesday of last week, Brian started back to school. He called me in the afternoon and reminded me that I'd told him I'm make his name "tents" for his students' desks. And would it be possible to get them before "Meet the Teacher" night on Friday?? Of course! I got right to it and it took less than two hours from start to finish. And since we didn't really have anything else going on, Mark and I drove them to Brian that evening so he could get them set out and ready.


Last week, Erin and Brian had a wonderful week in Hawaii, so we got to enjoy their girls off and on during the week. On Thursday, we picked up the three older girls and brought them to our house. Libby was so excited to get to finally work on her jewelry making...a well deserved reward for her. She made jewelry. Then she made more jewelry. Then she made jewelry again!! She had such a good time. Ellie got in on the fun, too and made four bracelets and a necklace, which she proudly wore for the rest of the week. Eliza made a pair of earrings that she could wear that evening to her Meet the Teacher night. All in all, Libby made 14 bracelets and a necklace. She would have happily made more, but between the time of night and my dwindling beading supplies, we decided we'd save the fun for another day. Before we went to meet the girls' teachers, we dropped Ellie off for a sleepover at Brian T's sister's house. The girls met their teachers and looked around their classrooms. They found their desks and got a feel for the layout of their new rooms. They even convinced Grandpa that they "needed" a school t-shirt, so he obliged. Then we went and picked up Abby and Dallin and brought them back to our house for one last summer sleepover. They watched the movie, Race to Witch Mountain, and then they all sacked out on the living room floor. The all went to sleep quite quickly. The next morning we had a French braiding session with Abby and Eliza. Libby just wanted a couple of clips. And Dallin was lucky enough that he didn't even need a comb! Then we headed out to find a new outfit for each of them for school. It was a long morning, to say the least, but I think they all were happy with their choices. After picking up Ellie, we delivered them all back to their respective homes and Mark and I crashed for a few minutes!

On Friday night, I finished reading our RS Book Group book, Peculiar In a Good Way, by Mary Ellen Edmunds. I loved the book. She has such a unique style of writing (and speaking). I can really relate to what she has to say.

On Friday night, after his Meet the Teacher session at his school, Brian headed to Urgent Care. He hadn't been feeling well all week and thought he should have things checked out. He found out that he had a viral infection and the Dr. told him he was highly contagious (Oops!) and should not plan on returning to work until at least Wednesday next week. Poor Brian. That's not the way a teacher wants to start off the new school year. So Mark and I spent a good part of Saturday at the school with him getting things ready for a substitute and disinfecting his classroom!! Tomorrow won't be a good day for him, I'm sure. He'll be missing out on meeting his new students and seeing Dallin start his first day of kindergarten. Hopefully, he'll be back at it on Wednesday!

Today was my lesson in RS. It was on the Wentworth Letter. I was a little concerned about having a good discussion, but my worries were all for naught. It was a great discussion and we ran out of time WAY before we ran out of material to discuss. It's a wonderful lesson and I would recommend it as good reading annually.
I hesitate to say this, but my calendar for next week is totally BLANK! I probably just jinxed myself....I hope I can get some things done around here, though.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I can't believe Libby didn't want French braids! LOL. They had a lot of fun. Libby wore two bracelets to church today! Good job on your lesson. I am sure your week will fill up--we need to make bread!