Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Let's Give This a Try!

We just got a new computer....we switched from a Dell PC to an IMac. And it's taking some time to learn how to make everything work....correctly!! So I'm going to try to post an entry and see if I can make it work. Sorry, but I don't think I can make pictures work yet since they're still on my external hard drive. If I get adventurous, I'll try posting one of my nephew who is getting married on Friday.
Life's been busy, as usual. I keep a list by my side with everything I need to accomplish, and lately it's been VERY long. At the moment, there are only three pressing items to do....I don't put regular chores/tasks on my list....just those with a deadline and those that I HAVE to complete. So that's three items....until I add the new items I just learned about. So it's an ongoing list. UGH!
The past two days have been spent helping Erin get things finished up for their pioneer trek in a couple of weeks. This week we finished her apron, made the ditty bags...one for the girls and one for the boys, and we've been making her pioneer baby. I realized today why they've assigned this task to the Mas of each family. They want there to be some sort of emotional attachment to the babies. Every baby will "die" during the trek sometime and each family will bury their own baby. The baby is made from muslin and stuffed (mostly) with sand so it weighs about the same as a real baby. Their baby will be named Belle. That was my grandma's middle name. Erin ordered a white cotton baby gown from ebay and I made a cute bonnet from a vintage hanky. The baby is really cute for a muslin/sand baby. Then I was able to score a silk baby dress at Savers on one of our scouting trips. It's off-white and beautiful. Erin is going to have the girls in the family dress the baby for its burial in the silk dress. The boys and Brian will dig the hole...so they each will have a task to perform. At the funeral for the "baby" she and Brian will give each of their "kids" a token from the trek. She's made "necklaces" for the kids...the boys is a metal ring tied on with leather and the girls' is a bead chain necklace with silver rectangular pieces. Each of the necklaces is stamped with the words blessed and honored and the date. She's added a tiny bell to each of them so they can remember the baby they buried. I don't know how they'll all get through it (emotionally). But the trek is an experience never to be forgotten!
Now I'm going to try to post a picture of my nephew, Logan, and his fiance, Alli Ginos. They're being married on Friday. Are they the sweetest couple you've ever seen? They both seem so happy!!!

1 comment:

Courtni said...

yah for a new computer! i don't think i could ever go to a mac for the very reasons you described...i like knowing how to do things and am not the most patient person :-)

that trek sounds awesome and SAD, and i am not even the one going on it. what an experience!

miss you!